There’s been a lot written about the problem of advertising on responsive devices. Quite a bit less has been written about potential solutions. Virtually nothing has been written about solutions that take into account the way things currently are.
Thing is, I need that solution. So, I’m defining my problem here as a way of thinking through it. If I figure out a non-compromising solution, I’ll post it later.
- Advertising cannot simply be “display:none” on smaller screens since that will count as an impression, and for CPM we don’t want to bill people for times their ads weren’t actually displayed.
- Responsive design uses media queries to resize the page, but media queries can’t turn on and off advertising (see the display:none thing). We’re also going to ignore UA sniffing server side because that defeats the purpose of responsive.
- I have one theme being used for several sites, each of which have different advertising tracking/placement codes. Those codes need to be set in the WordPress administration panels somewhere
- Codes differ for mobile and non-mobile ads.
- Ads are being served from two sources (not just one ad network), so the embed code varies in structure.